Sharing is Caring

I know how beautiful and courageous it is to dip the pen in the inkwell early on, then to stay motivated, finding other voices to keep you inspired. Never give up. Always dare to dream... In the electronic age, all can be heard. The depth of your audience is up to you.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

My next book always starts with a title

When I get my initial idea for a book it comes with a very rough idea for a title. This feeds the storyline, the central theme for me. Later, as I add characters, build the plot, discover the unfolding dialogue between the characters and find the settings and locales for the set pieces, I find myself with insomnia, searching for a better title. Here's a good example - my next book - currently titled The Glass Fence was originally Pretty Maids All in a Row. A few months later, it became All the Lonely People, followed by Hotel Confidential. But it still wasn't the best title... I savored it for a couple of months, defended it in the body of the work. But it still wasn't the right title. It was a catchy title, but didn't portray much of the true pyschology in the text... It didn't defend central theme for me as I found with my previous books - Chasing God's River and The Five Pearls. But wala! I think now the final title has arrived, driven in like a spike - from the story, the theme. But without a title to start with, I find it difficult to stay excited and move forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment